The Newman Catholic Community is a small Roman Catholic parish of the Diocese of Raleigh ministering to students, faculty, and staff of the University of North Carolina and alumni, families, friends, and visitors to Chapel Hill. The Pastoral Associate for Catechesis has primary responsibility for Newman’s program of faith formation and sacramental preparation for preschool and elementary school-aged children, high school youth, and for adults seeking the Sacraments of Initiation. In this formation process, the Pastoral Associate for Catechesis invites participants to encounter Jesus Christ and accompanies them towards deeper discipleship and commitment to continue His mission. The Pastoral Associate for Catechesis reports to the pastor and works collegially and collaboratively with a full- and part-time staff of ten.
The program serves the children of approximately 50 households and includes Catechesis of the Good Shepherd for Pre-K-Kindergarten and curriculum-based classes for grades 1-5, which includes two-year preparation for First Communion/Reconciliation. The Middle/High School ministry also includes two-year preparation for Confirmation. In addition, Newman typically offers academic-year RCIA and completion of Sacraments of Initiation for both students and parishioners. Last year the parish celebrated 10 Baptisms (including 2 adult catechumens), 15 First Communions, and 17 Confirmations.
· Administers program of faith formation and sacramental preparation for elementary, middle, and high school youth
· Supports Catechesis of the Good Shepherd for preschool and kindergarten students
· Cultivates, forms, trains, and supervises effective catechists drawn from student and parish community
· Provides sacramental preparation for First Communion and Reconciliation for children and families, and plans liturgical celebrations in collaboration with pastor and music ministry
· Provides sacramental preparation for Confirmation for children and families, and plans liturgical celebrations in collaboration with pastor and music ministry
· Oversees preparation for university students and others seeking sacramental preparation for the Sacraments of Initiation
· Prepares parents, godparents, and children/youth for baptism
· Collaborates with Pastoral Associate for Community Support to ensure compliance with the Diocese of Raleigh’s safe environment requirements
The Pastoral Associate for Catechesis also:
Advanced degree or certification in catechesis, theology, or related field
Minimum of 3 years of demonstrated educational leadership and experience with faith formation of children, youth, and catechists, including understanding of Catechesis of the Good Shepherd
Strong administrative, volunteer management, and communication skills
Ability to work both independently and collegially in a contemporary university parish setting
Evidence of personal practice and dedication to the Catholic faith, and commitment to personal discipleship and evangelization
Compensation and benefits
This is a full-time, 12-month, 40-hour-per-week position. Flexible schedule with weekend work required. Competitive salary. Full benefits package of the Diocese of Raleigh (health, dental and vision insurance, life and long-term disability insurance, vacation, and retirement).
Please submit all application materials electronically to [email protected]
Résumé or curriculum vitae
Evidence of relevant experience and accomplishments related to the listed job responsibilities—this may be submitted as a cover letter of up to 500 words or a short video or audio recording of five minutes or less
Two letters of recommendation, at least one of which must certify your active practice of Catholic faith.
Selected candidate required to complete a background check.
Position open immediately. Deadline for receipt of all application materials is Friday, February 15, 2023.